Sunday, September 2, 2012

Our first "official" week!

Disclaimer - Long post ahead!

I am so glad that we did some school this summer since our first "official" week was anything but normal.  For people who know me, they know I am pretty organized.  I am very much a list-maker and have my list with me at all times.  So starting out this week, I had workboxes full, checklists prepared, our homeschool area prepped as well as our lesson plans and supplies ready.  What really happened was a different story!  When you see what happened this week, I hope you will forgive my lack of pictures on this post!  So here was our week:

Monday - Jaron has gymnastic in the morning.  This is weekly and not a big deal.  Addison does school while he has class.  It changes up our schedule some, but not a problem!  When we got home, Jaron did some school and we did school together.  After a short break and lunch, our friend Lily came over for her piano lesson.  We do a group lesson (kids are ages 3, 4 and 5) with Lily and my kids.  We do piano as well as some general music and I try to make it fun by playing games.  When she left, it was rest time for Jaron and Addison finished up her school.  Successful first day!

Tuesday - Mommy had to go to the doctor and I brought the kids with me.  I love my doctor, but we often have to wait a while to see her since she ends up delivering babies, doing emergency surgery, etc.  We were prepared with some hands-on, but portable activities, books and snacks.  Jaron and Addison both played with Unifix cubes.  Jaron sorted them by color and then we worked on creating patterns with them.  This is old news for Addison, but fairly new to Jaron.  He soaked it up with no problem and starting creating his own patterns.  We talked about stars and planets and did some cutting activities and Addison did some of her reading.  Not sure what I'm going to do with that girl.  There are 2 big readers for the Language Arts curriculum we are using.  I had the first one with me.  After she read 4 stories (and could answer all of the comprehension questions), I flipped to the back to play "stump the Addison."  She loves this game.  I picked out words I thought would be hard for her, but she got every one!  Anyway, by the time we got home, it was time for a quick lunch and early rest time.  Addison finished school while Jaron napped, and then we ran to dance class.

Wednesday - We have had a big hole in our kitchen ceiling due to a water leak for a couple of weeks.  We finally got the information we needed from insurance and were able to get an awesome team to get started on Wednesday.  There was much drywall dust and plastic hanging in our kitchen, but we really just had to avoid the house as much as we could that day.  Because of the lay-out of our house, just going to the bathroom was going to present a problem.  We went to Chick Fil A for breakfast and playtime, a movie and then visited our old preschool for a bit before Addison's piano lesson.  The kitchen was not very usable that night so we ordered a pizza and had a picnic in the living room.

Thursday - more work on the kitchen and painting!  I have wanted to paint my kitchen for a while, but didn't really think it would happen any time soon.  I love it!  We were able to stay home, we watched a friend's 2 little ones for a few hours and did lots of school in the living room.  No kitchen that night either so with a coupon and a gift card, we ate at Macaroni Grill for $6 and that included tip!

Friday - the guys finished up the painting and we played "catch-up" with school.  I schedule for a 4-day school week since we have co-op on Fridays (starts next week), but today we caught up with most all but Addison's math (which we finished on Saturday).  The kitchen is done and Mommy had lots of clean-up and moving back into the kitchen.  I love my new kitchen!  I'll post pics next week.

We didn't get to a couple of fun enrichment activities this week, but we did the bulk of what I had planned.  I'm hoping this coming week will be a bit more "normal" so we can see how our daily schedule will work out.  If you got to the end of this post, I am impressed!  Next week should include some pictures and hopefully, a more accurate view of what we usually do at home!  


No comments:

Post a Comment